Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

Handing Out Some Old Halloween 'Eye Candy'


I have loved Halloween from when I was a wee, young girl living in Mimico, Ontario and first learned of its existence. Though folks might assume that I am over it being all "grown up" now, let me say that aging has done little to wipe the smile off my face at the sight of "anything" Halloween

My grandmother Coughlin-Moynahan adored Halloween as well and how delighted and lucky I am to have photographs of her in the early 1900s all dressed up.

My grandmother Rhea (Coughlin) Moynahan (1902-1992)
dressing up for Hallowe'en  (pre-1920)
Source: 52 Ancestors #42: Trick or Treating
And then there was my two siblings and me who loved to dress up on Halloween - usually by raiding our parents closet and adding some face paint!

Trick or Treating 70's style: It is me (far left) with my sister and brother 
Back of photo says:
" Sergeant Frisk and the two cooler queens - Droopy Pants and Truthful.
(Clearly my sister Kelly was truthful) 
Source: 52 Ancestors #42: Trick or Treating
I mention all of the above to justify the creation of this Halloween blog post on my Moynahan Studio blog.

Halloween has inspired my imagination and energized me to create since I was very little (and I have photographic evidence that it may, in fact, be part of my DNA!). From carving the pumpkin, to designing a costume to decorating outside - what a creative time of year!!

This Halloween, I am handing out some of my favorite old Halloween "eye candy" to my blog friends


Halloween Eye Candy

Literally all of the Dennison's Bogie Books may me smile
Visit this link
http://archive.org/stream/dennisonsbogiebo00denn#page/n5/mode/2up
to flip through the pages of the 1920 book.






All of the Saturday Evening Post and New Yorker covers that feature Halloween makes me smile

"Halloween Scare" cover by Frederic Stanley November 2, 1935
"Witch’s Mask" cover by Charles Kaiser October 31, 1942
"Halloween" cover by Norman Rockwell October 23, 1920


 "Trick-Or-Treating in the Burbs" cover by Artist: John Falter; Published: November 01, 1958;

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1945/10/27

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/10/29


http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1990/10/29


I am not sure how Tim Burton managed to have his 5-minute short about a boy who wanted to be Vincent Price narrated by Vincent Price, but it couldn't be more perfect!

Vincent Malloy is seven years old,
He's always polite and does what he's told.
For a boy his age 
he's considerate and nice,
But he wants to be just like Vincent Price....




 "Witch Carving Pumpkin " Saturday Evening Post Cover October 27 1928. "

Two Nerdy History Girls emailed a Friday video this morning: The Skeleton Dance. 

A perfect way to end this post on Halloween images and iconography.

It is part of Disney’s Silly Symphonies and is a great reminder of the amazing artists and musicians who made cartoons in the days before computers. This one is from 1929.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment